Search This Blog

Translate

Friday, September 11, 2015

Memories 14 yrs Strong 9/11

Happy Friday...

Now usually I don't have multiple posts in a week but I've been batting this concept around for a long time and as of yesterday decided to give it some wings and see what happens, you know roll with it and why not but first...

Although hearts are heavy today with remembering what happened 14 years ago. I'm sure that everyone remembers where they were at that point in time. For me I was sleeping and woken up by a call from a friend telling me to wake up Choo and have him turn on CNN. Well for him who at that time fell asleep and woke up to CNN anyway was already awake and staring at the screen. I was 1 week into a new job after not working  and had the day off but what time it was and how long we sat with our mouths open I couldn't tell you. Time was irrelevant, it was a bad time...just a bad time in general. The only time frame I can remember without the factual prompts of the time was that it was after 8 am on the East coast and after 5 am here on the West coast so very early. I'm pretty sure my girlfriend woke me around 6.

Choo didn't speak, his eyes glued to the TV. My friend was talking in my ear but I didn't hear anything she was saying, all I could see were the images as my brain tried to process what was happening so far away but still so close to home. Everything was eerily quiet as we watched and my ears kicked back in. He had been watching for awhile and filled me in on what happened. I don't even remember hanging up the phone but I'm sure I said goodbye to her but like I said time was irrelevant. I don't remember when my girls woke up or feeding them breakfast but I know I did, everything was consumed by coverage and wanting...no needing to know more. The girls were 6 & 9 then and had no idea of the impact.

The devastation was more than obvious and the pain very real even if we had no physical connection to the events, we were a part of it. A part of that awful history. Year after year I think back to that time and how much has changed since. I watch old movies that have each of the landmarks that were destroyed in them and others where they are gone forever and it's always one of the first things that is noticed and yet I can't watch movies based on the stories of those who survived or didn't in some cases because even though I'm not an overly emotional person it's too hard to take and I wouldn't see anything through the tears anyway and even though I wasn't a flier then I sure as hell am not one now with no desire to.

Now that I have tripped down that particular memory lane as I'm sure so many of you are doing today That memory is no place for me to stay in but I do remember and always will.

With that being acknowledged and being put back in the mental memory box what I was originally going to talk about got away from me and feels like something that can wait for my normal Monday blog to talk about it just doesn't feel right now.

Have a good weekend

See Ya
S

No comments: