Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, August 5, 2015

"Vampires Are Real." He Says

I don't usually do this, I'm more of a Post a week type of girl but after my trip home yesterday I had to share the wealth of knowledge I received from a bus patron.

I get on the bus in Vancouver and take the hour and fifteen minute ride home simple because it gives me more time to read. This trip however was vastly different from my usual ones. Almost all of the trip was normal until we got to Coquitlam Center where the bus sits for about 10 mins before it takes me on that last stretch home to Port Coquitlam.

As usual I sit in my regular spot, feet on the bar in front of me, book in hand, headphones in tuning out the world as I'm deep in another one in my head. Two guys get on, one kind of young and the other graying at the temples. The two are deep in conversation about the 701 bus to Maple Ridge and how it surprisingly left earlier than usual so they were taking my bus instead to get to where they needed to go. I don't crank my music so I can hear them but I'm not really caring. Chatter, chatter "What time is it anyway?" the older one says. The younger replies "I don't know I don't have my phone." As their conversation turns to how no one uses watches anymore I reach into my purse check the time and say "It's 5:52." Both men look at me and say thank you clearly shocked that I not only heard them but gave them what they asked for. Since the 701 runs ever 15-20 mins another showed up and the younger man decided to take it and they both got of my bus.

Ok back to reading I go until the older man gets back on and sits across from me and starts talking. After a minute or so it's pretty clear I'm not reading anymore so I pop out a headphone and close my book.

Him - What are you reading?
Me - Oh it about Vampires
Him - Oh really? That's pretty cool!

I nodded for a second thinking I was going to be able to spend the last 10 mins of my ride with tunes in my head as the sun streamed in the window beside me.

Him - You know why that's cool?

I shrugged and shook my head.

Him -  Vampire stories are awesome! Even more so because I am one.
Slow blink...slow blink again. Assessing the situation here before I move on.

Him - Actually I'm a Werewolf/Vampire
Alrighty then...again with the slow blinking and an even slower nod.
Me - Interesting...

Him - Ya I had to get my fangs removed when I was a kid because they were too big and I kept cutting my lips.
Me - Oh really?
This being quietly said because my flight response was pounding in my brain and I was in a moving vehicle wondering how unhinged the man across from me was.

Oh wait he's still talking.

He leans forward and shows me his thumb and pinky nails. My brain is hammering that he's too close just way to close to me but I hold it together and look down.

Him - The nails are the worst when the elongate on the full moon! ( He actually used ELONGATE)
Me - ( because I'm stupid and have to encourage the guy ) How bad is it?
HIm - OH IT'S THE WORST! They just shred through!

He continues to tell me he took a trip to Transylvania and proved his blood ties to Dracula. I think I stopped breathing at one point because that seemed to be one hell of a statement. Blah blah he continues next thing I heard that his sensei cut off his long dark hair with a Samurai sword.

Where the hell am I and why is this ride taking so long????? I looked him in the eye though the whole time and then he leaned forward again and as serious as could be he says...

"Vampires are real...you better believe it." In my head I said "I believe that you believe it."

His stop approached and he said thank you for the conversation smiling the whole way and stood up. Just before he turned to leave he said "Oh! My name's Whitey!...Ah...no offence."

Is it strange that the No Offence line rocked me harder that his forward I'm a vampireness? My own daughter told me she forgets I'm black. I just smiled and said no problem.

He caught sight of my natural fang and said "Yup that's what I'm talkin about." Ya...not creepy at all.

I will leave you now back to your normalcy while I try to reclaim mine!

See Ya
S


No comments: