Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, May 9, 2016

Weekend Wrap Up & Heavy Hearts

Monday again! It seems like the days and weeks go by so fast now. We're almost at the middle of May and it still feels like this year has barely begun.

This mothers day weekend was one of many things.

-The Mayday Parade- The most people I've seen in Poco's Downtown Core.
-Some work on the bike - Where I envision myself being 8 years old again and trying to learn how to ride a bicycle and flailing and a really big bicycle this time. I wondering if they have training wheels for that sort of thing! My Supervisor gave me work to do and his minions ensured that I did it.
-We saved a Hummingbird from heat exhaustion!

-Saw Captain America-Civil War - Good movie, late night.
-Mother's Day...

Before Mother's Day I had a conversation with Sese about what I'd like and I told her that she could give me plant pots and a bag of dirt and I'd be fine with that but not to do that because I could see it being something that Bean gave me. Well what do you know it was almost exactly what she gave me but added the plant as well! A lovely Caladium or Elephant Ear as they are also called that I will probably kill because it's an outdoor plant and they are beyond me but I'll try.


Bean laughed because she was happy that she could give her me dirt and I was happy with it. Sese gave me a picture frame that I was explicitly told I had to fill with pics of my daughters and display proudly on my desk at the office so girls get ready for a photo op.

 I got to enjoy my weekend though, with all of the devastation of the fires in Fort McMurray, all of those people left homeless and the video coverage of the everything just... gone still can't compare to the weight of sadness that all of them have to feel.

A friend asked me if it was us in that position and we had 20 mins to grab the most important things in life to me what would I take? I said my kids, everything else is material. She said her laptop as a source of communication and I realized that was not one of the things in my head. It was an afterthought for me. Of course though if there was any time at all there are many things that you could attempt to grab in 20 mins, clothes, raid the cupboards and sure a laptop among other things but that my only thought was them and they're fully grown women. The girls on the other hand would probably take as much as they could pack in and grab stuff for me because I wouldn't be thinking about it.

Looking at the movement of the fire could stop your breath. I also read that the fire could burn for months and is now 20-30km from the Saskatchewan border.

It's far from over it seems.

Seeing others rallying around them, like at Waterfront Station this morning had Firemen collecting and offered to match the donations collected today. My company as well has set up donations, people have offered their homes, units in their buildings and any space they can muster. They all seem like small things but collectively can make such a big difference.

I had to stop watching the news though because it weighed heavy on the heart.

Donations can be made to the Canadian Red Cross

I have a full week ahead of me so I hope you all have a great productive week!

See Ya.
S