Search This Blog

Translate

Thursday, April 23, 2015

Ripped From The Pages of...

The Huffington Post...I love the Huffington Post!

Should The 'Land Of Rape And Honey' Change Its Town Slogan?


This is a Canadian story this time about a town called Tisdale in Saskatchewan...The Land of Rape and Honey!

What's that you say? 

Alas yes that is the slogan for the sleepy town where there are only 3200 residents. Now the town and slogan were created in 1958 due to the cultivation of Rapeseed ( Canola ) and Honey. They are just now thinking of changing the slogan of the town. So they should because I would not see that as an appealing tourist destination!

What caught my interest besides the name of this article was the comments that were posted by readers like this one for instance...

Tisdale: Come for the rape, stay for the honey.
Maybe that's not the change they were looking for.

I agree probably not the best change and just a disturbing sentence in general.

Or this...

Why not the land of oil and honey if the rapeseed makes oil?! Duh

I like you! You make sense and alot of these comment threads didn't and as well took a disastrous turn. 

and this one...

Bear in mind that people also named RAPESEED

Yes they did! Maybe it meant something different back then? I have no idea!

It seems that some residents have taken to defending the slogan of the town but my question is why would you want to be known for that, in that fashion anyway and have to constantly explain and defend your little town? When you go on vacation and someone asks you where your from do you say Tisdale, Sask The land of Rape and Honey? HELL NO! 

If I came from there I would never tell anybody that part...like ever and then I'd move away.

OMG and I just noticed if you click the link and look at the town sign, in the bottom left corner...there's a Crime Stoppers sign.

Perfect.

What slogan would you use?

So if you want to read the whole story click the link below!


See Ya!
S




No comments: